Fashion New Year's Resolutions

Give yourself a mini fashion makeover

Resolutions take on many forms; the good news is that they don't all have to include giving up cheesecake and your morning lattes. Now is the time to set your fashion New Year's Resolutions, and start 2008 with your best (and most stylish) foot forward.

1. Clean out your closet. As the nights get colder, you need something to do right? Why not get a jump start on Spring cleaning? Donate, consign or give away clothes you haven't worn in a year or are too big/small.

2. Make a resolution to only buy clothes in your true size. No more buying clothes that are too small as motivation for the diet you plan to start next week/month, etc. Also don't buy clothes or shoes that are too big or too small simply because they're on sale. I know this is a toughy. I found a pair of Christian Louboutin booties last week at Barney's for $300 and I had to pass because they were a full size too big. Trust me, I considered how I could make it work (shoe inserts?). You'll save money and heartache.

3. Buy a new handbag. I will need to preface this by saying that if you're a handbag-a-holic and buy a new one every week, your resolution might be to buy less handbags. Instead, put the money into a retirement fund, or at least buy something different ... like shoes! But if you've been carrying around the same tired Coach purse since 2002, I think it's time you splurged and bought a new handbag. Look for one that's sturdy and made to last in addition to being stylish. If you want your handbag to outlast trends, stick to classic designs. The Chloe Paddington Classic Satchel is, well, classic. When shopping for a timeless handbag, stay away from trendy texturing (like quilted or sequined bags) and other flashy accessories that could lose their luster after a season. If you're all about the here and now, by all means buy the trendiest bags.

4. Be a trendsetter. Instead of waiting for your friends to try out a new trend, go ahead and blaze new trails by being the first in your group to try something a little daring. Sheer fabrics are the next big trend--don't be afraid to show a little skin! The Cynthia Steffe Sheer Striped Dress is just enough sheer to pique interest but retain all the mystery.

5. Go for a higher heel. If I could count how many times other women have asked me how I can "walk in those things" while making a face at my teetering stilletoes, I'd be rich. But you know what ? My legs sure do look fantastic when I wear heels! If you find them uncomfortable, you don't have to wear them everyday; save them for a special occasion when you want to look super sexy. It's okay to start small--try going up one half inch. You don't have to go all SJP; the Python Platform Pump from CO-OP Barneys New York are sultry and sensible, plus they're on sale. Get 'em while they last!

What's your fashion resolution?

0 comments:

Post a Comment